Limitations and Disclaimers
Privacy and security are important to HMHB, but no method of transmission over the Internet and no method of electronic storage can be 100% secure. HMHB strives to use commercially acceptable means to protect user information, but cannot guarantee absolute security.
HMHB is located in the United States, and the intended users of the online resources are also in the United States. Due to the business practices of third parties such as the website hosting company and Google Analytics, your information may be stored on servers throughout the United States and in other countries. If you are accessing the online resources from another country, please be aware that privacy protections differ from country to country.
Information HMHB Collects
We may ask you for data about yourself in relation to particular aspects of the online resources, including but not limited to the donation page, newsletter sign-up, contribution of your story or artwork for publication, online surveys, or your contact information for inclusion on LIFTS.
How Your Information is Used
HMHB and the online resources may use your information to:
- Contact you in relation to something you have done or requested, such as to provide e-newsletters, make donor acknowledgments, or communicate with someone who wants to share their story;
- Conduct organizational business internally and with authorized service providers that have their own privacy policies, including but not limited to donation processors, project and survey administration software providers, and vendors performing marketing, communications, website or other assistance in support of HMHB’s mission and operations;
- Analyze, troubleshoot, evaluate, and modify our online resources and create online advertising to draw traffic in light of data usage trends, campaign effectiveness, and other measures, including through the use of Google Analytics;
- Create advertisements to drive traffic to particular aspects of the online resources;
- Personalize your experience, such as by using your location as part of the search function on LIFTS;
- Manage any account created by you on the online resources;
- Conduct organizational business, including but not limited to sharing data for purposes of merger or dissolution, or communications with business affiliates such as subsidiaries or joint venture partners; and
- Protect HMHB’s legal interests by acting in good faith to:
- Comply with any requirement in law or contract;
- Investigate any potential legal wrongdoing;
- Protect and defend HMHB’s legal rights and positions, including in relation to any potential or actual legal proceeding;
- Protect users of the online resources or the public from any illegal activities;
- Take any other action to limit liability and act in accordance with legal requirements.
How You May Control the Information Collected
You may simply refuse to provide certain information, but doing so may limit the services available to you. For example, if you do not provide your email address, HMHB will not be able to send you an e-newsletter. Please note that any information you provide in a public area of the online resources, such as a comment on a blog post, may be viewed by anyone.
You may also set your browser or device to limit or delete tracking technologies, but doing so may affect your user experience. For example, you may set your browser to refuse all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent so you can decide whether to accept it on a case-by-case basis. Or you may delete “flash cookies,” or local stored objects. Some tracking technologies may be necessary for your use of the online resources, meaning some or all of the online resources may not work if you do not accept them. Other tracking technologies allow HMHB to measure user engagement, report usage data to funders, and make adjustments to improve quality. And still others apply to functionality and personalization, remembering choices you have made when using the online resources so you do not have to reenter your preferences each time you use them. If you do not allow a tracking technology, you may not be able to use some or all of the online resources, or your experience using the online resources may be affected.
Third Party Sites and Resources